Henry S. White
Widtsoe Presidential Endowed Chair in Chemistry
B.S., University of North Carolina, 1978
Ph.D., University of Texas, 1983
Postdoctoral Associate, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1983-84
Phone: (801) 585-6256
Office: B423 TBBC
White Research Group
Interfacial and Bioanalytical Chemistry (IBAC)
CCI Center for Synthetic Organic Electrochemistry
Activities & Awards
- Allen J. Bard Award, The Electrochemical Society, 2015
- Utah Governor's Medal for Science and Technology, 2014
- Fellow of the American Chemical Society, 2012
- Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, 2011
- Fellow of the American Academy of Arts & Sciences, 2011
- Carl Wagner Award, The Electrochemical Society, 2010
- American Chemical Society Utah Award, 2008
- W.W. Epstein Outstanding Educator Award, U of Utah, 2007
- David Grahame Award, The Electrochemical Society, 2005
- President, Society of Electroanalytical Chemistry, 2003-2005
- Associate Editor, Journal of the American Chemical Society
- ACS Analytical Division Award in Electrochemistry, 2004
- University of Utah Distinguished Research Award, 2004
- Students Choice Teaching Award, Associated Students of the U of Utah, 2003
- Faraday Medal, Royal Society of Chemistry, Electrochemical Section, London, 2002
- Chair, Gordon Research Conference on Electrochemistry, 2002
- Charles N. Reilley Award, The Society of Electroanalytical Chemistry, 2000
My colleagues and I are engaged in both experimental and theoretical aspects of electrochemistry, with diverse connections to analytical, biological, physical, and materials chemistry. Please see our group website for fuller project descriptions and links to recent publications.
- Rui Gao, Martin A. Edwards, Joel M. Harris, Henry S. White, “Shot Noise Sets the Limit of Quantification in Electrochemical Measurements,” Current Opinion in Electrochemistry, 2020, 22, 170–177.
- Donald A. Robinson, Martin A. Edwards, Yuwen Liu, Hang Ren, and Henry S. White, “Effect of Viscosity on the Collision Dynamics and Oxidation of Individual Ag Nanoparticles,” Phys. Chem. C, 2020, 124, 9068-9076.
- Rui Gao, Martin A. Edwards, Yinghua Qiu, Koushik Barman, Henry S. White, “Visualization of Hydrogen Evolution at Individual Platinum Nanoparticles at a Buried Interface,” Am. Chem. Soc.2020, 142, 8890–8896.
- Chen, Y. Liu, M. A. Edwards, Y. Liu, and H. S. White, “Nitrogen Bubbles at Pt Nanoelectrodes in a Nonaqueous Medium: Oscillating Behavior and Geometry of Critical Nuclei,” Anal. Chem.2020, 92, 6408–6414.
- Zhang, D. A. Robinson, K. McKelvey, H. Ren, H. S. White, and M. A. Edwards, “A High-Pressure System for Studying Oxygen Reduction During Pt Nanoparticle Collisions,” J. Electrochem. Soc,2020, 167, 166507.
- W. Long, B. Dunn, D. R. Rolison, and H. S. White, “3D Architectures for Batteries and Electrodes,” Adv. Energy Mater. 2020, 10, 2002457.
- S. Ashby, C. S. Choi, M. A. Edwards, A. A. Talin, H. S. White, and B. S. Dunn. “High-Performance Solid-State Lithium-Ion Battery with Mixed 2D and 3D Electrodes,” ACS Appl. Energy Mater. 2020, 3, 9, 8402–8409.
- S. Georgescu, D. A. Robinson, and H. S. White, “Effect of Nonuniform Mass Transport on Nanobubble Nucleation at Individual Pt Nanoparticles,” J. Phys. Chem. C,2021, 125, 19724–19732.
- Yulong Liu, Cheng Jin, Yuwen Liu, Karla Hernandez Ruiz, Hang Ren, Yuchi Fan, Henry S. White and Qianjin Chen, "Visualization and Quantification of Electrochemical H2 Bubble Nucleation at Pt, Au and MoS2 Substrates", ACS Sensors, 2021, 6, 2, 355.
- Allen J. Bard, Larry R. Faulkner, and Henry S. White, Electrochemical Methods:Fundamentals and Applications, 3rd, John Wiley and Sons Ltd, New York, 2022.
- Katherine J. Levey, Martin A. Edwards, Henry S. White, and Julie V. Macpherson, “Finite Element Modeling of the Combined Faradaic and Electrostatic Contributions to the Voltammetric Response of Monolayer Redox Films,” Chem.,2022, 94, 12673−12682.
- Pavel Majumdar, Rui Gao, and Henry S. White, “Electroprecipitation of Nanometer-Thick Films of Ln(OH)3 [Ln = La, Ce, and Lu] at Pt Microelectrodes and Their Effect on Electron-Transfer Reactions,” Langmuir, 2022, 38, 8125−8134.
- Seyyedamirhossein Hosseini, Jordyn N. Janusz, Mayank Tanwar, Andrew D. Pendergast, Matthew Neurock, and Henry S. White, Oxidation by Reduction: Efficient and Selective Oxidation of Alcohols by the Electrocatalytic Reduction of Peroxydisulfate,” Am. Chem. Soc., 2022, 144, 21103−21115.
- Unsiat Zahra, Donald A. Robinson, and Henry S. White, “Self-Terminating Redox-Reactivity and Vacancy-Induced Void Formation during Electrochemical Collision Synthesis of Hollow Ag/Ag2S Nanoparticles,” Phys. Chem. C.2022, 126, 18343−18350.
- Pavel Majumdar and Henry S. White, “Effect of Non-Specific Ion Adsorption and Parallel Faradaic Reactions on the Nucleation of H2 Nanobubbles,” Electrochem. Soc.,2022, 169, 106515.
- Alexandra J. Schmeltzer, Joel M. Harris, and Henry S. White, “Single-Molecule Electrical Currents Associated with Valinomycin Transport of K+,” ACS Nano, submitted Nov. 2022.
- Nicholas J. Vitti, Pavel Majumdar, and Henry S. White, “Critical Nucleus Size and Activation Energy of Ag Nucleation by Electrochemical Observation of Isolated Nucleation Events,” Langmuir, submitted Nov. 2022.
- Simran Kumaria, Tsugunosuke Masubuchi, Henry S. White, Anastassia Alexandrova, Scott L. Anderson and Philippe Sautet, “Electrocatalytic hydrogen evolution at full atomic utilization over ITO-supported sub-nano Ptn clusters: High, size-dependent activity controlled by fluxional Pt hydride species,” submitted Am. Chem. Soc., Dec. 2022.
- Katherine J. Levey, Martin A. Edwards, Henry S. White, and Julie V. Macpherson, “Simulation of the Cyclic Voltammetric Response of an Outer-Sphere Redox Species with Inclusion of the Electrical Double Layer and Ohmic Drop,” Chem. Chem. Phys., submitted Dec. 2022.