- Graduation from a recognized four-year college, university, or institute of technology.
- Minimum GPA of 3.0.
- International students: TOEFL score around 620 (paper-based), 260 (computer-based) or 105 (Internet-based).
- Please, note that the Chemistry Department covers the application fee and you should not pay the application fee on the Graduate Admissions page. Your application will be processed without the fee.
Fill out the University of Utah Graduate Admissions Application. If accepted, your application fee will be covered by the Department.
- Make sure you specify your research area of interest and at least three professors whose research interests you, as we need this information to review your application accurately and efficiently.
- Follow the instructions on the University of Utah Graduate Admissions Application to submit the following:
- original transcripts;
- three letters of recommendation, with at least one from a faculty member in the college or university in which the you study or studied;
- GRE (general) scores;
- statement of purpose;
- TOEFL scores, if you are an international student and did not complete a degree in the US.
For full consideration, completed applications should be received by December 15. Applications received after that date will be considered and reviewed on basis of the available space.
Most graduate students are granted teaching fellowships that provide an annual stipend and a tuition waiver. In addition, the Chemistry Department will provide a basic health insurance plan to students who are not otherwise covered by a policy.
All Ph.D students in good academic standing are guaranteed five years of financial support, either as a Teaching Assistant or as a Research Assistant.
Visit the Department of Chemistry
Domestic students accepted into the program will be invited to visit the Department of Chemistry in Salt Lake City, Utah. To arrange a visit, please, follow this link.
Contact the Graduate Admissions/Education Office
For all questions related to graduate admissions, please, contact:
University of Utah
Department of Chemistry
Attn: Graduate Admissions Office
315 S 1400 E Rm. 4404 HEB
Salt Lake City, UT 84112-0850
Phone: 801-581-4393 or 800-444-8638 ext. 14393