ANALYTICAL, BIOLOGICAL & MATERIALS CHEMISTRY
Western Illinois University, B.S. in Chemistry 1995
University of Iowa, Ph.D. in Chemistry 2000
Office: b611 Thatcher Building
Activities & Awards
- 2013 Fellow of The Electrochemical Society
- 2010 Tajima Prize of the International Society of Electrochemistry
- 2008 American Chemical Society St. Louis Award
- 2008 Scientific American Top 50 Award
- 2008 Society of Electroanalytical Chemists Young Investigator Award
- 2006 U.S. Department of Defense Okaloosa Award
- 2006 Missouri Inventor of the Year Award
- 2005 Academy of Science of St. Louis Innovation Award
The Minteer Group focuses on improving the abiotic-biotic interface between biocatalysts and electrode surfaces for enhanced bioelectrocatalysis. These biocatalysts include microbial cells, organelles (mitochondria and thylakoid membranes), redox proteins, and oxidoreductase enzymes. We design electrode structures for enhanced flux at electrode surfaces for biosensor and biofuel cell applications. The group utilizes a variety of electroanalytical techniques (linear polarization, cyclic voltammetry, differential pulse voltammetry, differential pulse amperometry), as well as a variety of biological and spectroscopic techniques to accomplish these goals.
Shelley Minteer is a member of Utah MRSEC.
- R.D. Milton, R. Cai, S. Sahin, S. Abdellaoui, B. Alkotaini, D. Leech, and S.D. Minteer, “The In Vivo Potential-Regulated Protective Protein of Nitrogenase in Azotobacter vinelandii Supports Aerobic Bioelectrochemical Dinitro-gen Reduction In Vitro,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2017, 139, 9044-9052.
- R.D. Milton and S.D. Minteer, “Direct Enzymatic Bioelectrocatalysis: Differentiating Between Myth and Reality,” Journal of the Royal Society Interface, 2017, 14, 20170253.
- L. Xia, K. Nguyen, Y. Holade, H. Han, K. Dooley, P. Atanassov, S. Banta, and S.D. Minteer, “Improving the Performance of Methanol Biofuel Cells Utilizing an Enzyme Cascade Bioanode with DNA Bridged Substrate Channeling,” ACS Energy Letters, 2017, 2, 1435-1438.
- S. Abdellaoui, M. Snow, I. Matanovic, A. Stephens, P. Atanassov, and S.D. Minteer, “Hybrid Molecular/Enzymatic Catalytic Cascade for Complete Electro-oxidation of Glycerol Using a Promiscuous NAD-dependent Formate Dehydrogenase from Candida boidinii,” ChemComm, 2017, 53, 5368 - 5371.
- Y. Liu, D.P. Hickey, J.Y. Guo, E. Earl, S. Abdellaoui, R. Milton, M.S. Sigman, S.D. Minteer, and S. Calabrese Barton, “Substrate Channeling in an Artificial Metabolon: A Molecular Dynamics Blueprint for an Experimental Peptide Bridge,” ACS Catalysis, 2017, 7, 2486-93.
- M. Grattieri, N.D. Shivel, I. Sifat, M. Bestetti, and S.D. Minteer, “Sustainable Hypersaline Microbial Fuel Cells: Inexpensive Recyclable Polymer Supports for Carbon Nanotube Conductive Paint Anodes,” ChemSusChem, 2017, 10, 2053-2058.
- K. Knoche, K. Hasan, E. Aoyama, and S.D. Minteer, “Role of Nitrogenase and Ferredoxin in the Mechanism of Bioelectrocatalytic Nitrogen Fixation by the Cyanobacteria Anabaena variabilis SA-1 Mutant Immobilized on Indium Tin Oxide (ITO) Electrodes,” Electrochimica Acta, 2017, 232, 396-403.
- J. Kitt, D. Bryce, S.D. Minteer, and J.M. Harris, “Raman Spectroscopy Reveals Selective Interactions of Cytochrome c with Cardiolipin that Correlate with Membrane Permeability,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, 139(10), 3851-3860.
- K. Hasan, R. Milton, M. Grattieri, T. Wang, M. Stephanz, and S.D. Minteer, “Photobioelectrocatalysis of Intact Chloroplasts for Solar Energy Conversion,” ACS Catalysis, 2017, 7, 2257-2265.
- C. Serov, D.P. Hickey, M. Cook, S. Robinson, S. Barnett, S.D. Minteer, M.S. Sigman, and M. Sanford, “A Physical Organic Approach to Persistent, Cyclable, Low-Potential Electrolytes for Flow Battery Applications,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2017, 139, 2924-2927.
- R.D. Milton, R. Cai, S. Abdellaoui, D. Leech, A.L. De Lacey, M. Pita, and S.D. Minteer, “Bioelectrochemical Haber-Bosch Process: An Ammonia-Producing H2/N2 Fuel Cell,” Angewandte Chemie, 2017, 56(10), 2680-2683.
- R.D. Milton, S. Abdellaoui, D. Dean, L. Seefeldt, D. Leech, and S.D. Minteer, “Nitrogenase bioelectrocatalysis: heterogeneous ammonia and hydrogen production by MoFe protein,” Energy and Environmental Science, 2016, 9, 2550-2554.
- L. Pelster and S.D. Minteer, “Mitochondrial Inner Membrane Biomimic for the Investigation of Electron Transport Chain Supercomplex Bioelectrocatalysis,” ACS Catalysis, 2016, 6, 4995-4999.
- K. Knoche, D.P. Hickey, R.D. Milton, C. Curchoe, and S.D. Minteer, “Hybrid Glucose/O2 Biobattery and Supercapacitor Utilizing a Pseudocapacitive Dimethylferrocene Redox Polymer at the Bioanode,” ACS Energy Letters, 2016, 1, 380-385.
- B. Bulutoglu, K.E. Garcia, F. Wu, S.D. Minteer, and S. Banta, “Direct evidence for metabolon formation and substrate channeling in recombinant TCA cycle enzymes,” ACS Chemical Biology, 2016, 11, 2847-2853.
- T. Wang and S.D. Minteer, “Effect of Riboflavin Metabolites on Mitochondrial Electrochemistry,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 2016, 163(13), H1047-1052.
- C. Tapia, R.D. Milton, G. Pankratova, S.D. Minteer, H. Akerlund, D. Leech, A. De Lacey, M. Pita, and L. Gorton, “Wiring of Photosystem I and Hydrogenase on an Electrode for Photoelectrochemical H2 Production using Redox Polymers for Relatively Positive Onset Potential,” ChemElectroChem, 2017, 4, 90-95.
- Y. Holade, D.P. Hickey, and S.D. Minteer, “Halide-Regulated Growth of Electrocatalytic Metal Nanoparticles Directly on Carbon Paper Electrodes,” Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 2016, 4, 17154-17162.
- D. P. Hickey, K.L. Knoche, K. Albertson, C. Castro, R.D. Milton, and S.D. Minteer, “Improving O2 Reduction at an Enzymatic Biocathode: Mimicking the Lungs,” ChemComm, 2016, 52, 13299-13302.
- T. Wang, R.D. Milton, S. Adellaoui, D.P. Hickey, and S.D. Minteer, “Laccase Inhibition by As3+/As5+: Determination of Inhibition Mechanism and Preliminary Application to a Self-Powered Biosensor,” Analytical Chemistry, 2016, 88, 3243-3248.
- R.D. Milton, T. Wang, K. Knoche, and S.D. Minteer, “Tailoring Biointerfaces for Electrocatalysis,” Langmuir, 2016, 32, 2291-2301.
- I. Wheeldon, S.D. Minteer, S. Banta, S. Calabrese Barton, P. Atanassov, and M. Sigman, “Substrate channeling as an approach to cascade reactions,” Nature Chemistry, 2016, 8, 299-309.
- D.P. Hickey, D. Schiedler, I. Matanovic, P. Doan, P. Atanassov, S.D. Minteer, and M. Sigman, “Predicting Electrocatalytic Properties: Modeling Structure-Activity Relationships of Nitroxyl Radicals,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2015, 137, 16179-16186.