ANALYTICAL, BIOLOGICAL & MATERIALS CHEMISTRY
Western Illinois University, B.S. in Chemistry 1995
University of Iowa, Ph.D. in Chemistry 2000
Office: b611 Thatcher Building
Activities & Awards
- 2013 Fellow of The Electrochemical Society
- 2010 Tajima Prize of the International Society of Electrochemistry
- 2008 American Chemical Society St. Louis Award
- 2008 Scientific American Top 50 Award
- 2008 Society of Electroanalytical Chemists Young Investigator Award
- 2006 U.S. Department of Defense Okaloosa Award
- 2006 Missouri Inventor of the Year Award
- 2005 Academy of Science of St. Louis Innovation Award
The Minteer Group focuses on improving the abiotic-biotic interface between biocatalysts and electrode surfaces for enhanced bioelectrocatalysis. These biocatalysts include microbial cells, organelles (mitochondria and thylakoid membranes), redox proteins, and oxidoreductase enzymes. We design electrode structures for enhanced flux at electrode surfaces for biosensor and biofuel cell applications. The group utilizes a variety of electroanalytical techniques (linear polarization, cyclic voltammetry, differential pulse voltammetry, differential pulse amperometry), as well as a variety of biological and spectroscopic techniques to accomplish these goals.
Shelley Minteer is a member of Utah MRSEC.
- R.D. Milton, S. Abdellaoui, D. Dean, L. Seefeldt, D. Leech, and S.D. Minteer, “Nitrogenase bioelectrocatalysis: heterogeneous ammonia and hydrogen production by MoFe protein,” Energy and Environmental Science, 2016, 9, 2550-2554.
- L. Pelster and S.D. Minteer, “Mitochondrial Inner Membrane Biomimic for the Investigation of Electron Transport Chain Supercomplex Bioelectrocatalysis,” ACS Catalysis, 2016, 6, 4995-4999.
- K. Knoche, D.P. Hickey, R.D. Milton, C. Curchoe, and S.D. Minteer, “Hybrid Glucose/O2 Biobattery and Supercapacitor Utilizing a Pseudocapacitive Dimethylferrocene Redox Polymer at the Bioanode,” ACS Energy Letters, 2016, 1, 380-385.
- B. Bulutoglu, K.E. Garcia, F. Wu, S.D. Minteer, and S. Banta, “Direct evidence for metabolon formation and substrate channeling in recombinant TCA cycle enzymes,” ACS Chemical Biology, 2016, 11, 2847-2853.
- T. Wang and S.D. Minteer, “Effect of Riboflavin Metabolites on Mitochondrial Electrochemistry,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 2016, 163(13), H1047-1052.
- C. Tapia, R.D. Milton, G. Pankratova, S.D. Minteer, H. Akerlund, D. Leech, A. De Lacey, M. Pita, and L. Gorton, “Wiring of Photosystem I and Hydrogenase on an Electrode for Photoelectrochemical H2 Production using Redox Polymers for Relatively Positive Onset Potential,” ChemElectroChem, 2017, 4, 90-95.
- Y. Holade, D.P. Hickey, and S.D. Minteer, “Halide-Regulated Growth of Electrocatalytic Metal Nanoparticles Directly on Carbon Paper Electrodes,” Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 2016, 4, 17154-17162.
- D. P. Hickey, K.L. Knoche, K. Albertson, C. Castro, R.D. Milton, and S.D. Minteer, “Improving O2 Reduction at an Enzymatic Biocathode: Mimicking the Lungs,” ChemComm, 2016, 52, 13299-13302.
- T. Wang, R.D. Milton, S. Adellaoui, D.P. Hickey, and S.D. Minteer, “Laccase Inhibition by As3+/As5+: Determination of Inhibition Mechanism and Preliminary Application to a Self-Powered Biosensor,” Analytical Chemistry, 2016, 88, 3243-3248.
- R.D. Milton, T. Wang, K. Knoche, and S.D. Minteer, “Tailoring Biointerfaces for Electrocatalysis,” Langmuir, 2016, 32, 2291-2301.
- I. Wheeldon, S.D. Minteer, S. Banta, S. Calabrese Barton, P. Atanassov, and M. Sigman, “Substrate channeling as an approach to cascade reactions,” Nature Chemistry, 2016, 8, 299-309.
- D.P. Hickey, D. Schiedler, I. Matanovic, P. Doan, P. Atanassov, S.D. Minteer, and M. Sigman, “Predicting Electrocatalytic Properties: Modeling Structure-Activity Relationships of Nitroxyl Radicals,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2015, 137, 16179-16186.
- R. Milton, F. Giroud, A. Thumser, S.D. Minteer, and R. Slade, “Bilirubin oxidase bioelectrocatalytic cathodes: the impact of hydrogen peroxide,” ChemComm, 2014, 50(1), 94-96
- S. Xu and S.D. Minteer, “Investigating the Impact of Multi-Heme Pyrroloquinoline Quinone-Aldehyde Dehydrogenase Orientation on Direct Bioelectrocatalysis via Site Specific Enzyme Immobilization,” ACS Catalysis, 2013, 3, 1756-1763.
- M. Rasmussen, A. Wingersky, and S.D. Minteer, “Improved Performance of a Thylakoid Bio-Solar Cell by Incorporation of Carbon Quantum Dots,” ECS Electrochemistry Letters, 2014, 3(2), H1-H3.
- R.D. Milton, F. Giroud, A.E. Thumser, S.D. Minteer, and R.C.T. Slade, “Glucose oxidase progressively lowers bilirubin oxidase bioelectrocatalytic cathode performance in single-compartment glucose/oxygen biological fuel cells,” Electrochimica Acta, 2014, 140, 59-64.
- S. Xu and S.D. Minteer, “Pyrroloquinoline Quinone (PQQ)-Dependent Enzymatic Bioanode: Incorporation of Substituted Polyaniline Conducting Polymer as Mediator,” ACS Catalysis, 2014, 4, 2241-2248.
- D. Chen, F. Giroud, and S.D. Minteer, “Nickel Cysteine Complexes as Anodic Electrocatalysts for Fuel Cells,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 2014, 161, F933-F939.
- M. Rasmussen and S.D. Minteer, “Thylakoid direct photobioelectrocatalysis: utilizing stroma thylakoids to improve bio-solar cell performance,” Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 2014, 16(32), 17327-17331.
- K. Nguyen, F. Giroud, and S.D. Minteer, “Improved bioelectrocatalytic oxidation of sucrose in a biofuel cell with an enzyme cascade assembled on a DNA scaffold,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 2014, 161(14), H930-H933.
- Y. Ulyanova, M. Arugula, M. Rasmussen, S. Singhal, and S.D. Minteer, “Bioelectrocatalytic Oxidation of Alkanes in a JP-8 Enzymatic Biofuel Cell,” ACS Catalysis, 2014, 4, 4289-4294.
- D. Hickey, M. McCammett, F. Giroud, M. Sigman, and S.D. Minteer, “Hybrid Enzymatic and Organic Electrocatalytic Cascade for the Complete Oxidation of Glycerol,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2014, 136(45),15917-15920.