John C. Conboy
ANALYTICAL & PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY OF BIOLOGICAL SURFACES
B.S. University of California, Davis, 1991
Ph.D. University of Oregon, 1996
Postdoctoral Associate, Univ., of Minnesota, 1996-1997
NIH Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Arizona, 1998-2000
Phone: (801) 585-7957
Office: 2532 TBBC
Interfacial and Bioanalytical Chemistry (IBAC)
The Conboy Group is actively developing novel analytical and bioanalytical techniques for the exploration of interfacial phenomena in biology and chemistry. We are currently pursuing research into the dynamics and structure of lipid membranes and the development of label-free methods for detecting protein and small-molecule adsorption to interfaces. Our laboratory uses a combination of nonlinear optical spectroscopies in conjunction with biological and electrochemical methods to achieve these objectives. Please peruse the selection of publications from our group listed below for more information about our research.
- Nguyen, Trang T.; Sly,Krystal L.; Conboy, John C.,“Comparison of the Energetics of
Avidin, Streptavidin, NeutrAvidin, and Anti-Biotin Antibody Binding to Biotinylated
Lipid Bilayer Examined by Second-Harmonic Generation”, Analytical Chemistry, 2012,
- Liu, J.; Brown, Krystal L.; Conboy, J. C., “The effect of cholesterol on the intrinsic
rate of lipid flip-flop as measured by sum-frequency vibrational spectroscopy”, Faraday Discussions, 2013, 161 (Lipid and Membrane Biophysics), 45-61.
- Brown, K, Conboy, J. C., “Lipid Flip-Flop in Binary Membranes Composed of Phosphatidylserine
and Phosphatidylcholine”, Journal of Physical Chemistry B., 2013, 117, 15041-15050.
- Sly, Krystal L.; Mok, S.-W; Conboy, John C., "Second Harmonic Correlation Spectroscopy:
A Method for Determining Surface Binding Kinetics and Thermodynamics" Analytical Chemistry, 2013, 85, 8429-8435.
- Allhusen, John S.; Conboy John C., “Preparation and Characterization of Conductive and Transparent Ruthenium Dioxide Sol-Gel Films”, ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, 2013, 5, 11683-11681.
- Stokes, Grace Y.; Conboy, John C.; “Measuring Selective Estrogen Receptor Modulator (SERM)-Membrane Interactions with Second Harmonic Generation”, JACS, 2014, 136, 1409-1417.
- Sly, Krystal L.; Conboy, John C.; “Determination of Multivalent Protein-Ligand Binding Kinetics by Second-Harmonic Correlation Spectroscopy”, Analytical Chemistry, 2014, 86, 11045-11054.
- Brown, K, Conboy, J. C., “Phosphatidylglycerol Flip-Flop Suppression due to Headgroup ChargeRepulsion”, Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 2015, 119, 10252–10260.
- Allhusen, John S.; Kimball, Dylan R., Conboy John C., “The Structural Origins of CholesterolAccelerated Lipid Flip-Flop Studied by Sum-Frequency Vibrational Spectroscopy”, Journal of PhysicalChemistry B, 2016, 120, 3157-3168
- Allhusen, Conboy John C., “The Ins and Outs of Lipid Flip-Flop”, Accounts of Chemical Research,2017, 50, 58-65