PHYSICAL & MATERIALS CHEMISTRY
Research Associate Professor
Diploma, Graz University of Techn., Austria, 2000
Dr. rer. nat. (Ph.D.), Karl-Franzens-University, Austria 2002
Max-Kade Postdoctoral Fellow, University of California, Santa Barbara, 2002-2004
Postdoctoral Associate, California NanoSystems Institute (UCSB), 2004-2005
Activities & Awards
- DuPont Young Professor Grant Award, 2007-2011
- Emerging Investigator (Materials Chemistry), Royal Society of Chemistry (2010)
- Brilliant 10 (“America’s Young Science Geniuses”) by Popular Science Magazine (2010)
- JFK 50 Years, Legacy Gallery (2011)
- Scialog Fellow, Research Corporation for Science Advancement, 2013
- Visiting Professor, Technical University of Munich (TUM), Germany (2013/2014)
- Deputy Editor, Scripta Materialia (2014-2019)
Dr. Michael H. Bartl is currently the executive director of the Center for Energy Efficient Electronics Science (E3S) at the University of California, Berkeley, and a faculty member at the University of Utah, where he also serves as deputy director of the MUSE Energy Frontier Research Center (EFRC). He earned his doctorate degree in materials and inorganic chemistry from Karl-Franzens University Graz, Austria, and conducted postdoctoral research at the University of California, Santa Barbara. Dr. Bartl is the scientific co-founder of Navillum Nanotechnologies, and serves a Deputy Editor for Scripta Materialia. He was the recipient of a “DuPont Young Professorship”, and was named a “Brilliant 10” researcher by Popular Science magazine and a Scialog Fellow by the Research Corporation for Science Advancement. His research interests include functional nanostructured materials for energy and information technology applications.
Selected Publications in Chronological Order
- R.K. Nagi, D.E. Montanari, M.H. Bartl, “Photonic crystal micro-pixelation and additive color mixing in weevil scales”, Bioinspir. Biomim., 2018, 13, 035003.
- H. Cho, D. Caputo, M.H. Bartl, M. Deo, “Measurements of Hydrocarbon Bubble Points in Synthesized Mesoporous Siliceous Monoliths”, Chem. Eng. Sci., 2018,177, 481-490.
- E.M. Brauser, T.D. Hull, J. McLennan, J.T. Siy, M.H. Bartl, “Experimental Evaluation of Kinetic and Thermodynamic Reaction Parameters of Colloidal Nanocrystals“, Chem. Mater., 2016, 28, 3831-3838.
- W.J. Nimens, L. Whittaker-Brooks, M.H. Bartl, “Enhanced Sensing in Mixed Porous–Solid Photonic Stacks”, J. Mater. Chem. C, 2016, 4, 668-672.
- H. Maheshwari, J.D. Roehling, B.A. Turner, J. Abdinor, T.B. Tran-Roehling, M.D. Deo, M.H. Bartl, S.H. Risbud, K. van Benthem, “Robust Mesoporous Silica Compacts: Multi-scale Characterization of Microstructural Changes Related to Physical–Mechanical Properties”, J. Mater. Sci. 2016, 51, 4470-4480.
- M.H. Bartl, "Butterfly-Inspired Photonics Reverse Diffraction Color Sequence", Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. 2014, 111, 15602-15603.
- J.T. Siy, E.H. Brauser, T.K. Thompson, M.H. Bartl, "Synthesis of Bright CdSe Nanocrystals by Optimization of Low-Temperature Reaction Parameters", J. Mater. Chem. C 2014, 2, 675-682.
- M. Barhoum, J.M. Morrill, D. Riassetto, M.H. Bartl, "Rapid Sol-Gel Fabrication of High-Quality Thin-Film Stacks on Planar and Curved Substrates", Chem. Mater. 2011, 23, 5177-5184.
- M.R. Jorgensen, J.W. Galusha, M.H. Bartl, "Strongly Modified Spontaneous Emission Rates in Diamond-Structured Photonic Crystals", Phys. Rev. Lett. 2011, 107, 143902.
- M.R. Jorgensen, M.H. Bartl, "Biotemplating Routes to Three-Dimensional Photonic Crystals", J. Mater. Chem. 2011, 21, 10583-10591.
- J.T. Siy, E.M. Brauser, M.H. Bartl, "Low-Temperature Synthesis of Colloidal CdSe Nanocrystal Quantum Dots", Chem. Commun. 2011, 47, 364-366.
- J.W. Galusha, M.R. Jorgensen, M.H. Bartl, "Diamond-Structured Titania Photonic Band Gap Crystals from Biological Templates", Adv. Mater. 2010, 22, 107-110.
- D. Chaudhuri, J.W. Galusha, M.J. Walter, N.J. Borys, M.H. Bartl, J.M. Lupton, "Towards Sub-Diffraction Transmission Microscopy of Diffuse Materials by Using Silver Nanoparticle White-Light Beacons", Nano Lett. 2009, 9, 952-956.
- J.W. Galusha, L.R. Richey, J.S. Gardner, J.N. Cha, M.H. Bartl, "Discovery of a Diamond-Based Photonic Crystal Structure in Beetle Scales", Phys. Rev. E 2008, 77, 050904