Harris Research Group
Harris Research Group | Joel M. Harris | Current Research | Publications | Group Members | Alumni | Meetings | Random Photos | Contact
News & Updates
- November 24, 2020: Miharu Koh joins the lab as a Graduate Student joint with Shelley Minteer. Welcome Miharu!
- October 29, 2020: Based on their SciX/FACSS poster awards, Allison and Grant give invited talks in the SAS/Metrohm Groundbreaking Spectroscopy Research Virtual Symposium.
- October 12, 2020: Grant and Allison win the SAS Poster Competition at SciX/FACSS! They were two of the four winners out of more than 80 poster entries.
- May 6, 2020: Eric R. defends his MS project and completes his BS/MS Program. Congrats Eric!
- April 29, 2020: Grant successfully defends his research proposal and advances to Ph.D. Candidacy.
- April 21, 2020: As a graduating senior, Allison wins the ACS Division of Physical Chemistry Undergraduate Award, the Senior Comprehensive Exam Prize, and the American Institute of Chemists Award. Congrats Allison!
- April 21, 2020: Alex wins U of U Department of Chemistry Undergraduate Research Scholarship. Congrats Alex!
- March 1-2, 2020: Alex, Allison, Eric R., Grant, Jay, and Maryam present their research at PittCon in Chicago.
- February 12, 2020: Dasha becomes a Naturalized U.S. Citizen! Congratulations Dasha!
- December 31, 2019: Joel is ranked 11th internationally in the Analytical Scientist 2019 Power List.
- December 11, 2019: Maryam successfully defends her dissertation. Congratulations Dr. Zare!
- November 20, 2019: Joel wins the Fields Award in Analytical Chemistry at the Eastern Analytical Symposium
- October 13, 2019: Grant wins the SAS Student Poster Award at SciX 2019 in Palm Springs! Congrats Grant!
- September 1, 2019: NSF renews our grant support for the 14th time! 43 years of uninterrupted funding!
- August 27, 2019: Joel wins the ACS Division of Analytical Chemistry Award in Spectrochemical Analysis in San Diego
- August 19, 2019: Alex receives an Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP) Grant.
- August 2, 2019: Joel is elected Fellow of the American Chemical Society.
- May 13, 2019: Allison receives an Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP) Grant.
- May 13, 2019: Emily returns from UCF to teach Chemistry 3000 for another summer.
- May 2, 2019: Joel is awarded the University of Utah, Calvin S. & JeNeal N. Hatch Prize in Teaching.
- April 23, 2019: Allison wins the ACS Division of Analytical Chemistry Undergraduate Student Award. Congrats Allison!
- April 16, 2019: Grant passes his Preliminary Oral Exam. Congrats Grant!
- April 2, 2019: Maryam gives a talk at the 257th National ACS Meeting in Orlando.
Recent Research Highlights
“Hybrid-Lipid Bilayers Induce n-Alkyl-Chain Order in Reversed-Phase Chromatographic Surfaces, Impacting their Shape Selectivity for Aromatic Hydrocarbon Partitioning,” Maryam Zare, Jay P. Kitt, Xin Wen, Emily Heider, Joel M. Harris, Analytical Chemistry, in press (2021); DOI:10.1021/acs.analchem.0c05467
“Single-Molecule Kinetics Show DNA Pyrimidine Content Strongly Affects RNA:DNA and TNA:DNA Heteroduplex Dissociation Rates,” Hershel Lackey, Zhe Chen, Joel M. Harris, Eric M. Peterson, and Jennifer M. Heemstra, ACS Synthetic Biology, 9, 249 (2020).
"Hybrid-Supported Bilayers Formed with Mixed-Charge Surfactants on C18-Functionalized Silica Surfaces," Maryam Zare, Jay P. Kitt, and Joel M. Harris, Langmuir, 36, 7609-7618 (2020); DOI: 10.1021/acs.langmuir.0c01210
“Probing the Mechanism of Structure-Switching Aptamer Assembly by Super-Resolution Localization of Individual DNA Molecules,” Hershel H. Lackey, Eric M. Peterson, Joel M. Harris, and Jennifer M. Heemstra, Analytical Chemistry, 92, 6909 (2020).
"Confocal Raman Microscopy Investigation of Phospholipid Monolayers Deposited on Nitrile-Modified Surfaces in Porous Silica Particles," David A. Bryce, Jay P. Kitt, Grant J. Myres, and Joel M. Harris, Langmuir, 36, 4071 (2020).
“Super-Resolution Imaging of Competitive Unlabeled DNA Hybridization Reveals the Influence of Fluorescent Labels on Duplex Formation and Dissociation Kinetics,” Eric M. Peterson, Eric J. Reece, Wenyuan Li, and Joel M. Harris, Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 123, 10746-10756 (2019); selected for the ACS Virtual Issue on Super-Resolution Far-Field Optical Microscopy.
“Confocal Raman Microscopy Investigation of Self-Assembly of Hybrid Phospholipid Bilayers within Individual Porous Silica Chromatographic Particles,” Jay P. Kitt, David A. Bryce, Shelley D. Minteer, and Joel M. Harris, Analytical Chemistry, 91, 7790 (2019); DOI: 10.1021/acs.analchem.9b01359.
“Thermostability Trends of TNA:DNA Duplexes Reveal Strong Purine Dependence,” Hershel Lackey, Eric M. Peterson, Zhe Chen, Joel M. Harris, and Jennifer M. Heemstra, Jennifer, ACS Synthetic Biology, 8, 1144 (2019); DOI: 10.1021/acssynbio.9b00028.
“Single-Molecule Kinetic Investigation of Cocaine-Dependent Split-Aptamer Assembly,” Frances D. Morris, Eric M. Peterson, Jennifer M. Heemstra, and Joel M. Harris, Analytical Chemistry, 90, 12964 (2018).
“Confocal Raman Microscopy for Label-Free Detection of Protein-Ligand Binding at Nanopore-Supported Phospholipid Bilayers,” David A. Bryce, Jay P. Kitt, and Joel M. Harris, Analytical Chemistry, 90, 11509 (2018).
“Confocal Raman Microscopy for In-situ Measurement of Phospholipid-Water Partitioning into Model Phospholipid Bilayers within Individual Chromatographic Particles,” Jay P. Kitt, David A. Bryce, Shelley D. Minteer, and Joel M. Harris, Analytical Chemistry, 90, 7048 (2018).
“Identification of Individual Immobilized DNA Molecules by their Hybridization Kinetics Using Single-Molecule Fluorescence Imaging,” Eric M. Peterson and Joel M. Harris, Analytical Chemistry, 90, 5007 (2018).
“Confocal-Raman Microscopy Characterization of Supported Phospholipid Bilayers Deposited on the Interior Surfaces of Chromatographic Silica,” David A. Bryce, Jay P. Kitt, and Joel M. Harris, Journal of the American Chemical Society, 140, 4071 (2018).