- May 13, 2019: Emily returns from UCF to teach Chemistry 3000 for another summer.
- May 2, 2019: Joel is awarded the University of Utah, Calvin S. & JeNeal N. Hatch Prize in Teaching.
- April 16, 2019: Grant passes his Preliminary Oral Exam. Congrats Grant!
- April 2, 2019: Maryam gives a talk at the 257th National ACS Meeting in Orlando.
- February 14, 2019: Former postdoc in the lab, Michael Hunnicutt, and his wife Sally announce the funding of a graduate scholarship endowment in Joel's honor!
- August 20-22, 2018: David, Jay, and Eric give talks at the 256th National ACS Meeting in Boston.
- May 14, 2018: Emily Heider returns to teach Chemistry 3000 this summer.
May 1, 2018: David successfully defends his dissertation! Congratulations Dr. Bryce!
- March 18-22, 2018: Barry, Kristy, David, Jay, Eric, and Maryam all give papers at the 255th National ACS Meeting in New Orleans.
- December 10, 2017: Grant Myres joins the lab as a Graduate Research Assistant. Welcome Grant!
- December 1, 2017: DOE renews our grant support for a 9th time! Three more years!
- October 10, 2017: David wins both the SAS Barbara Stull Graduate Student Award and the Coblentz Society William G. Fately Student Award at SciX 2017! Congratulations David!
- August 17, 2017: Mike successfully defends his dissertation! Congratulations Dr. Manhart!
- July 15, 2017: Xin (Kristy) Wen joins the lab as an undergraduate research assistant. Welcome Kristy!
- April 10, 2017: Barry wins the Edward M. (Ted) Eyring Scholarship. Congratulations Barry!
- February 19, 2017: Joel travels to the University of Havana as part of a small ACS Delegation to foster ties with analytical chemists in Cuba.
- January 8, 2017: Barry Li joins the lab as an undergraduate research assistant. Welcome Barry!
- January 1, 2017: Maryam Zare joins the lab as a Graduate Research Assistant. Welcome Maryam!
- July 1, 2016: NSF renews our grant support for a 12th time! Three more years!
- June 1, 2016: Jessica Fordham from Cal Poly joins the group for the summer as an REU. Welcome Jessica!
- April 19, 2016: Jay wins the Cheves Walling Graduate Research Award for the Outstanding Dissertation in Chemistry.
- January 13, 2016: Joel receives the Utah Governor's Medal for Science and Technology.
- January 1, 2016: David is elected national Student Representative to the Executive Committee of the Society for Applied Spectroscopy.
- December 4, 2015: Jay successfully defends his dissertation! Congratulations Dr. Kitt!
- September, 2015: David is elected the National Student Representative to the Society for Applied Spectroscopy. He will serve on the Executive Committee of the SAS. Congratulations David!
- August 7, 2015: It was just announced that Jay is the winner of the 2015 Society for Applied Spectroscopy's Barbara Stull Graduate Student Award! Congratulations!
News & Updates
Recent Research Highlights
“Single-Molecule Kinetic Investigation of Cocaine-Dependent Split-Aptamer Assembly,” Frances D. Morris, Eric M. Peterson, Jennifer M. Heemstra, and Joel M. Harris, Analytical Chemistry, 90, 12964 (2018).
“Confocal Raman Microscopy for Label-Free Detection of Protein-Ligand Binding at Nanopore-Supported Phospholipid Bilayers,” David A. Bryce, Jay P. Kitt, and Joel M. Harris, Analytical Chemistry, 90, 11509 (2018).
“Confocal Raman Microscopy for In-situ Measurement of Phospholipid-Water Partitioning into Model Phospholipid Bilayers within Individual Chromatographic Particles,” Jay P. Kitt, David A. Bryce, Shelley D. Minteer, and Joel M. Harris, Analytical Chemistry, 90, 7048 (2018).
“Identification of Individual Immobilized DNA Molecules by their Hybridization Kinetics Using Single-Molecule Fluorescence Imaging,” Eric M. Peterson and Joel M. Harris, Analytical Chemistry, 90, 5007 (2018).
“Confocal-Raman Microscopy Characterization of Supported Phospholipid Bilayers Deposited on the Interior Surfaces of Chromatographic Silica,” David A. Bryce, Jay P. Kitt, and Joel M. Harris, Journal of the American Chemical Society, 140, 4071 (2018).
"Confocal Raman Microscopy Investigation of Molecular Transport into Individual Chromatographic Silica Particles,” David A. Bryce, Jay P. Kitt, and Joel M. Harris,
“Single-Molecule Fluorescence Imaging of Interfacial DNA Hybridization Kinetics at Selective Capture Surfaces,” Eric M. Peterson, Michael W. Bryce, and Joel M. Harris
"Competitive Assays of Label-Free DNA Hybridization with Single-Molecule Fluorescence Imaging Detection" Eric M. Peterson, Michael W. Bryce, and Joel M. Harris
Super-Resolution Imaging and Quantitative Analysis of Membrane Protein/Lipid Raft Clustering Mediated by Cell-Surface Self-Assembly of Hybrid Nanoconjugates. Hartley, J. M., Chu, T.-W., Peterson, E. M., Zhang, R., Yang, J., Harris, J. and Kopeček, J.
Confocal Raman Microscopy for Investigating Synthesis and Characterization of Individual Optically-Trapped Vinyl-Polymerized Surfactant Particles Jonathan J. Schaefer, Alexis C. Crawford, Marc D. Porter, and Joel M. Harris